Friday, June 22, 2012

Confessions of a Couchsurfing Addict





at Dillingers
It is already 1:30am Wednesday morning, but the the stream of people going in and out of Dillinger's doesn't seem to end. Partyphiles and club addicts strut their stuff, while drinking aficionados are sharing a toast.

A good number of us, about 40 or so Couchsurfing members occupy about half of the clubs dance floor and we are quite oblivious to the angry stares from people who could no longer get in due to the jam-packed crowd inside.

Here in this club in the heart of the busy Makati central business district, people from virtually all walks of life, hailing from as far as Romania, Paris, Kansas, Taiwan, Brazil and England among others, have gathered to celebrate our common love for travel and adventure.

We are couchsurfing addicts and we are welcoming the arrival of several guests in our city in the best way possible: showing them the world famous Filipino hospitality and offering them a peek into the vibrant Manila nightlife.

CS pool party
Just days ago, some of us, about 60 or so, even attended an overnight pool party in Paranaque, a party, which I can consider to be one of the best I have ever attended. Mind you, I am such a party animal so I have attended lots of parties.

Almost a week before the party, I also attended a house/pool party for very cool CS people hosted by another surfer and it was also a blast.

Indeed, the Philippine couchsurfing scene is becoming more alive and its achieving new heights.

And it is making everyone appreciate and believe the wonders of meeting new people in new destinations.

These events are bringing closer expats and locals who, otherwise, have no chance of business of meeting each other.

Looking back, I seriously believe that couchsurfing has not reached mainstream popularity and acceptance among Filipino travelers.

There are forums as far back as 2007 and there were events/gatherings but I never really heard of them among my travel circles. Of course, my travel circle is not the only gauge, but the lack of knowledge of about 20 or so avid travelers  about something as cool and ingenue as CS is quite telling.

I joined Couchsurfing in January 2010 after researching of possible travel arrangements for backpackers like me.

I didnt become active until I hosted my own get together,attended by about 50 people. Without prior activity or participation in the regular, already established CS scene, it was a surprise that the party got as much people as it did.

But as I pointed during the party, my sole purpose is to gather like-minded people who have the same appreciation and passion for travel, adventure, and meeting new people.

Apparently, most people who attended that first party have the same purpose and mission and the fact that a lot of them attended a CS event for the first time is quite surprising.

In the succeeding months, my love affair with CS has grown deeper, thanks to more CS parties including one I attended in Seoul.

My awesome hosts in Seoul were also part of the reason why I wanted more people to get to know and appreciate CS.

 Now looking at the this huge crowd of newfound friends, I have high hopes that the CS scene in the Philippines becomes even more active in the years to come.

Granted, very few of these people have actually experienced surfing or hosting in couches or houses, but attending CS events is a very good first step.






5 comments:

  1. oh yeah. CS people are awesome. you really have to party with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know the way I ended up here, however I thought this post used to be good. I don't recognize who you might be however definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't
    already. Cheers!

    Also visit my web blog; bmi charts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, what website of couch surfing do you use? I am coming back to the Philippines I guess in September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you get fucked a lot couchsurfing? (by hot asian chicks?)

    ReplyDelete