Saturday, September 15, 2012

Greenhouse Hostel: My second home in Bangkok






Outdoor restaurant (my shot)

For the past five years, I have been traveling to the chaotic streets of Khao San Road every July to celebrate my birthday.

I have written so much about my experiences in Thailand but it just struck me that I haven't shared anything about the place where I always stay whenever I am in Bangkok. The place, I call my second home.

Most backpackers descend to Khao San Road to look for the cheapest and most convenient location. But in my experience, I found hotels right along the street too noisy, and too expensive, ranging from 500 Baht to 1,200 Baht.

Perhaps it was luck or perhaps it was meant to be.

In Soi Rambuttri, a street parallel to Khao San Road, I found Greenhouse Hostel.

It was a simple hostel with very spartan amenities, when I first checked in. There are about 80 rooms that cater mostly to backpackers. There are airconditioned rooms, though for those who wanna get away from the Bangkok heat. As you know, temperature in Thailand averages 35 to 38 degrees Celsius.

Over the years though, the hostel has seen many changes. The travel agency in the ground floor was closed and in its place, computers were installed.


The new grille. Photo courtesy of Greenhouse

The simple cafe, became a full fledged grille.You can dine inside the airconditioned partition or you can dine alfresco style at the outdoor restaurant.

The acoustic singer every night, however, remains a constant attraction.

One of the reasons why I love Greenhouse so much is because of its laidback ambiance. I can easily strike a conversation with fellow travelers just by hanging at the outdoor resto without loud music bothering us.

The beer is pretty cheap too. Everything in Thailand is relatively cheaper, but Greenhouse is way cheaper.

While most hostels would use the newer facilities to jack up their prices, GreenHouse remains one of the most affordable hostels in Thailand. Room rates range from about 300 Baht or $10 for single rooms to 450 Baht for double airconditioned room.

If you have a tighter budget, you can opt for single rooms with fans for only 250 Baht.

Photo showing the closed travel agency

Greenhouse has been my constant accommodation in Bangkok, because of its cheaper rates but topnotch service.

The ladies at the reception also know me by now.

Located in Soi Rambuttri, the hotel is located in a quieter, more subdued street and the bars/clubs nearby also offer acoustic jamming sessions.

To get to the actual Khao San Road, you can take the Susie Walking Street, a passage filled with stores, massage parlors, tattoo and book shops.


Photo courtesy of Greenhouse

The place is also walking distance away from the Grand Palace so those wanting to visitg it, will have an added bonus.

Getting there is quite easy. Just say Soi Rambuttri and all taxi cabs know it.

If in case, the driver is dumber than usual, use the more prominent Viengtai Hotel as landmark since Greenhouse is almost in front of the hotel.






  



4 comments:

  1. can you easily get a room without a prior reservation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bogdan,

    yes you can easily crash in the hotel without prior reservation. The room rates are quite affordable too compared to hotels along KSR

    ReplyDelete